söndag 6 september 2015

Theme 1

In the preface of “Critique of Pure Reason”, at page B XVI, I interpret that part as that in order to think in the way of metaphysics, and not the traditional way as science goes, one would have to approach it quite the different way. If I understand correctly, instead of perceiving objects through cognition in the traditional way in order to find out something about them, somehow be aware of the object with help of intuition, which should be impossible as far as science and I guess reality goes because you would need to know the object before you can interpret it through your senses (unless some experience have been gained through cognition prior to that, where one could use the intuition to determine the object). The text continues with a further reasoning on a possible way to do that, where I lose myself a bit in the text, but as I try to understand, one should turn things around. The author refers to Copernicus and how he turned things around in the explanation of celestial motions, and while I did understand that, I could not figure out the same way with intuition and objects. I do not think I understand this thouroghly, why I look forward to the seminar.

As for the text part where Socrates and Theaetetus are discussing the difference between perceiving through and with senses, my intrepretation is that the senses are merely tools where the mind is the centre and connector of the perceived. But it also appears that mind itself can perceive things by its own, such as how you differentiate things. I looked up the word empiricsm in an encyclopedia (more precisely Wikipedia), and while I am not entirely sure, the similarities seems to be in the way that we collect information through our senses and thus do not base our conclusions on theorys and the like. However, the difference might be that the mind in which Theaetetus mentioned, is doing perceptions by its own (and I wonder whether that could be intrepreted as theorys), and that does not seem to belong in empiriscm.

Some keywords I looked up/paid some extra attention to while reading: A priori, Metaphysics and Empiriscm.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar